Saturday, January 06, 2007

Vacation Close to Home


AAA magazine inspired me to take a closer look at my own state for travel ideas. About an hour north from Roanoke on I-81, there's the Theater at Lime Kiln, "where entertainment comes naturally." If you decide to stay the night, there are cabins for rent and bed & breakfast resorts nearby in Lexington.

For a closer look at the area, the Lexington Carriage Company offers narrated tours through the business district, the adjacent college campuses, and a portion of the historic residential area. Natural Bridge and the Virginia Safari Park are on the way to your next stop: the Route 11 Potato Chip Factory. It's about an hour north of Lexington on I-81 in Middleton, VA.


When you've had enough of the spudmasters, turn the corner past Front Royal via I-66 and Route 340 to access Skyline Drive. At Shenandoah National Park, you can hike, bike, fish, camp, or just relax and enjoy nature's beauty. Sounds like a plan to me, and you're never more than 3 hours from home.

No comments: